Thursday, July 02, 2009

Gypsies!
When Tim and I recently went to Europe I started to research Irish Gypsies.
White Travelers or Irish Tinkers.
Fascinating really.
They caravan all their belongings in wagons or carts, travel and camp in the countryside, cook, clean and have children just about anywhere the wind takes them.
I am totally serious, it still happens today. I am not to sure to what degree, but they do this still.
The fact of the matter is, they don't like to melt into society.
They do there own thing.
Nobody dictates to them what kind of work they should do,what they should become in society.
In America, a lot of Irish Gypsies came over on boats during the potato famine.
Interesting stuff.
I am not trying to teach you a history lesson. I'm really not.
I am simply trying to give you a look at my family, our life and explain our drama.
Here goes...
For those of you that don't know me well,
my parents are modern day Irish Gypsies.
No, I am not kidding.
This is the only way I can classify them and not make them look crazy.
I think, when people ask me what my parents are doing now I will simply say,
"They are Irish Gypsies." Let me explain...
My Dad and Mom have always, all my life moved. Traveled. Lived in different houses.
Started new jobs. Tried to melt into society, and get angered by it. Quit jobs. Move again.
Traveled and started over.
We sometimes had everything, then we were the poorest of the poor.
It has been a never ending cycle. And just recently I have become tired of it.
I joke when people ask me questions.
Sometimes it is hard not to get upset about their circumstances.
But it is also hard too, because they really are wonderful people.
But I hated it growing up.
We moved from house to house and even some places I wish to forget.
For example I have lived in this very house, as a kid, that I am living right now.No joke.
My dad had tons of work and then none.
We have moved across the country and back.
Lost everything. Moved in to borrowed homes. Used borrowed cars,etc.
People have tried to help them.
I am not looking for a pity party.
I'm not.
I am just simply letting you in on some of the drama currently in my life.
And now that I am an adult I really feel for them and try to help them as much as possible. The problem is...get this....they don't want to be helped.
So, I thought that I would write it down just to get it off my chest, really.
It is really hard for me to re-train my brain, so that when things get hard I just want to up and leave. Start over. Go somewhere with a fresh start. Be a gypsy too.
And you may be wondering how Tim does with all this madness.
He is awesome.
He doesn't say anything about it except in a rational way. He understands when I have the impulse to leave. He doesn't get crazy when I hold on to stuff for years, because I need security. It has to be hard for him to watch me agonize over my parents and their situation.
This is my family drama.
So for now we wait and see what happens.
Let me answer the questions you probably will ask me next....
You: Have I talked to them?
Me: No.
You: Where are they now?
Me: I don't know.
You: What will they do next?
Me: I don't know.
You: Doesn't it make you nervous, I mean they are old...with no retirement...not security...no insurance...no future...where will they live...what do they do for money?!
All I have to say to that is,
Me: They are Irish Gypsies.
This is their life.






6 comments:

  1. I don't know how you deal with it. It's craziness. To think that you will be left picking up all the pieces in the end. But, that's family for you. Every family has their drama, yours are gypsies... mine are lesbian-lying-kleptomaniacs. Tomato-Tomaato.

    We're all left picking up the pieces in the end, just different pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing insight into your childhood and even more amazing how you became the person you are now.

    Sometimes I wonder how I turned out the way I did. I should be really messed up (maybe I am) but I think I thrived in spite of it all. And, I think you did too!!

    It's frustrating to watch the decisions of others. It helps me when I step back and don't know every little detail, and only dabble in the drama occasionally.

    You're a great blogger chicky. I want more drama!!

    ~Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good way to put your parents...gypsies. I hope they settle down soon. You are a trooper, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    It is good to see you writing again. Summer showed me your blog ages ago and I thought you had a lot of talent in expressing yourself on paper. Very cool analogy of your parents and gypsies. It is surprising that you and Tim have stayed so long in SC. We are glad you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parents are good people. I have always felt comfortable around them. They throw in some spice to life. They are lucky to have a loving, patient, accepting and accomidating daughter like you. They did a good job with you even though they put you thru the wringer. It seems you are a better woman for it. xoxo SK

    ReplyDelete